Idlewild Presbyterian Church Renovation & Addition

The two existing buildings on this church’s campus were constructed in 1926 and 1959.  Both buildings are architecturally significant. A common entry, accessibility, a state-of-the-art early childhood education center, updated classrooms/meeting space and convenient restroom facilities were identified by the congregation as needing to be addressed in the renovation and expansion project.  Modern, convenient restrooms were added to both buildings.  Classrooms and meeting spaces are upgraded with new finishes, lighting and audio/visual/IT infrastructure.  The early childhood education center is enlarged, incorporates code compliant life-safety systems, and uses forward-looking space strategies to provide learning environments for young children and families.  The entry/accessibility concerns of the congregation are resolved in construction of a new Entry Foyer which spans between the two existing buildings.  Within the new foyer is an open, vertical circulation core which links the two buildings with common stairs, elevator and bridges.  The exterior of the new foyer is a three-story, “transparent,” glass curtain-wall which allows the architecture of the two existing buildings to maintain their historic integrity without the introduction of a third, competing architectural element.

  • http://brg3s.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2016512_image_ext_2.jpg
  • http://brg3s.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2016512_image_ext_1.jpg
  • http://brg3s.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2016512_image_int_1.jpg
  • http://brg3s.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2016512_image_ext_3.jpg